The COVID-19 pandemic has forced restaurants to adjust how they function. One of the biggest changes is the boost in online ordering — delivery platforms for restaurants offer a great way to give food to customers without direct interaction.
If you underestimate the value of online delivery, consider this: in 2020, delivery platforms saw a $3 billion increase in revenue. Whether you run a ghost kitchen or a traditional, brick-and-mortar restaurant, it's important to take advantage of these services. Here are the top 5 delivery services of 2021.
Available in 45 countries, including the United States, United Kingdom and Canada, UberEats is one of the most popular delivery apps out there. It's known for providing a personalized customer experience, which includes photographs, pre-ordering and meal tracking.
Advantages of UberEats include:
- Large service area: UberEats has over 90 million monthly users.
- Personalization: UberEats lets restaurants publish photos and create a personalized brand.
- POS Integrations: UberEats can be integrated with most restaurant technology, including POS systems.
Disadvantages of UberEats include:
- Commission Fees: In NYC, commission fees can reach up to 20% per order.
- High Delivery Costs: While UberEats offers a network of delivery drivers, you have to pay a commission to use them.
Founded in 2013, DoorDash is a popular delivery service available in 4,000 cities across North America. DoorDash stands out for its commitment to helping local communities — for example, the company created a $500,000 fund to support economically disadvantaged youth.
Advantages of DoorDash include:
- Large customer base: Currently, DoorDash has over 18 million customers.
- Lower costs: For the first 30 days of use, DoorDash doesn't charge restaurants a commission fee.
- Higher profits: 65% of restaurants claim that DoorDash helped them increase profits during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Disadvantages of DoorDash include:
- Changing fees: DoorDash changes commission rates based on the restaurant, which can lead to unpredictable fees.
- Limited service area: Currently, DoorDash is only available in North America.
GrubHub is prominent in the United States and can be found in over 4,000 cities across all 50 states. It's also available in London. From advanced search tools to multiple payment options, GrubHub does everything possible to create a positive customer experience.
Advantages of GrubHub include:
- Advanced search options: GrubHub lets customers search by restaurant, location and cuisine, which widens your reach of people.
- Strong communication: GrubHub offers a notes feature that facilitates communication between users and restaurants.
- Popularity: GrubHub has high rankings, including a #1 rating from Tom's Guide.
Disadvantages of GrubHub include:
- Credit card fees: GrubHub charges credit card processing fees and a 20% marketing fee.
- Customer fees: GrubHub is known for charging various customer fees, which can deter users.
Owned by UberEats, Postmates is available across 3,500 American cities. While it's still its own brand for customers, it has merged with UberEats behind the scenes. It's a great option if you're trying to increase your reach, as it's available 24/7.
Advantages of Postmates include:
- Versatility: Postmates is incredibly versatile and supports restaurants, pharmacies and gas stations.
- Double services: If you partner with Postmates, your business will also be accessible through UberEats.
- Low fees: Postmates doesn't charge any credit card processing fees.
Disadvantages of Postmates include:
- Changing fees: Commission fees vary among restaurants, which can make costs unpredictable.
- Surge pricing: Postmates increases costs during busy hours, which may deter customers.
Making the list of top 5 delivery platforms, this application is owned by Grubhub. Like its mother company, it's available in over 4,000 US cities and in London. From contactless delivery to online communication, Seamless offers plenty of features to help minimize customer interactions.
Advantages of Seamless include:
- Streamlined deliveries: Seamless streamlines your orders to boost efficiency and speed.
- Versatility: Seamless supports both local businesses and national restaurant chains.
- Contact-free delivery: Seamless offers a contactless delivery option, which is ideal for the COVID-19 pandemic.
Disadvantages of Seamless include:
- Limited reach: Seamless is mainly known for its coverage in NYC, which isn't helpful unless you're based there.
- Changing delivery fees: Seamless can have unpredictable delivery fees.
Which Delivery Applications Do I Use?
If you hope to successfully connect with new audiences, you should take advantage of all these apps. This is especially important for ghost kitchens, as online ordering is their main source of revenue. On the downside, it can be difficult to manage multiple services. Each delivery applications provide restaurants with a tablet — the more tablets you have, the higher the chance of mistakes.
To protect your kitchen's reputation and boost efficiency, it's advisable to streamline orders using an application like Cuboh. In addition to sending multiple delivery platform orders to a single tablet, Cuboh can integrate with your POS system and facilitate communication with delivery drivers. Learn more by booking a demo today.